Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My Art; reflection

I have 3 different approaches to choose from when deciding on choreographing to a song.

The first method which I can do the fastest is the fun/ simple/ recycled method.
This method is typically the most fun because I do not think technically when I'm in this mind set. I choreograph to obvious parts of the music and throw in lots of grooves & some power motions & creative freedom (improvisation). The focus here is just doing movement that is pure fun, nothing else. Since I want it to be fun on the most broad platform I can put it on, I make sure it's not difficult. I use the term "recycled" because a lot of the moves I put together are things I'm comfortable/ familiar with. That is the reason why I can choreography routines of this nature so quickly.

The 2nd method I use is the technical/ growth method.
When I enter music with this mentality I focus on everything going on in the song. I want to make sure I don't miss any sounds and I carefully select what comes to me naturally & sometimes not so naturally. With pieces like this I focus on musicality, unfamiliarity, visual appeal, & speed (even though I'm all about visual appeal)
I'd like to think I have really good musicality if I do say so myself. I find it easy to bounce from voice to music & to make it visually clear in my choreography. When I focus on musicality I aim to enhance the way I listen to music and bring it to life. What's also extremely important to me is doing movement my body is unfamiliar with, so I try to stay out of my comfort zone but not completely because I want to stay true to what I know while also diving into new movement. Since musicality is a high focus in this method, I always try to increase my speed of movement & execution as a dancer. I believe being able to move quickly & knowing how to control that speed is very important in every style of dance.

The 3rd method is one that I don't do as often because I'm usually overwhelmed from using the first 2 methods for classes I teach & shows/ videos. This 3rd method is like a release for me. Whenever dance starts to feel like work to me, a song will find me and speak to me. When that moment happens my body enters this trance and begins to create movement naturally and with a ton of energy I never knew I had. I'm not always aware of my surroundings when I enter 3rd method. My mind, body & soul get lost & does what it needs to do. With this, I typically do not think at all. I just let the music move me.

Why I call this post "My art; reflection" is because I've found that my creative process is similar to the way I live.
I'm very good at doing things I'm familiar with and can do it quickly & always have a good time doing it, just like method one.
Other times I step out of the known to learn things I hunger for in order to improve in whatever aspect of life I feel like I need to improve on.
Other times I just get lost. And that's one of my favorite things to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment